HOSTAPD Error log

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jul 23 13:39:31 EDT 2015

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 12:31:18 +0530, Amit Gupta said:

> Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
> [  199.672712] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
> Failed to update rate sets in kernel module
> [  199.687566] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
> Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 00:0e:8e:38:29:e6 and ssid 'test_wifi_2'
>

> Eventhough I am getting this error log from user space application(hostapd)
> code, my wifi device is working fine. But I want to remove this error log
> and want to know the root cause this error log.

My gut reaction is that hostapd is issuing ioctl() calls in the wrong order
and/or failing to allow a long enough delay or wait for a specific event.

I'd recommend running something like:

# strace -f hostapd -B /etc/hostapd.conf > /tmp/strace.out 2>&1

and go look for what failing call was made just before the write call
that output 'Failed to update'.  Hopefully, tracing the flow of that
call will reveal a  kernel code path that output the 'link is not ready'
message.  Then you'll know what 'if (somecondition)' landed you in that
situation.

Knowing that, it will become a lot easier to figure out what happened.