Query on operstatus for link, can I change it?

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Tue Jul 14 15:34:42 EDT 2015

The last time I looked into this (and this was quite a while ago so take this with much salt) the lo device was not a "regular network device". The stack sets up an instance of lo in every network name space created, more or less automatically via the registration of its init routine in a struct pernet_operations. So lo doesn't initialize like most other network devices. You might have issues there. I know I did last time I tried to "borrow" loopback.c to do something similar for some prototyping I was doing.

If you are willing to monkey with kernel code, it might be easier to just twiddle the link sense routine in driver for the "other NIC" you were planning to use to always report the link as up regardless of what the PHY says.

Jeff Haran