Mount Compressed File like a Folder

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jan 31 19:49:42 EST 2015

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 20:16:29 -0200, Lucas Tanure said:

> There is a way to mount a xz or gz file , update it, and umount ?
> Like, this file will be folder that is compressed and I can mount, update
> the files, and close ?

This would probably be best done in userspace, using either fuse or a fully
userspace tool.  The biggest problem is that if you update the files, you need
to re-write the container. Think about the case where you have a 400 megabyte
.gz file, and you update something that's 200K in and the new one is 3 bytes
longer than the old one - almost 400 meg has to be re-written.  Not something
you want to be doing inside the kernel.