Linux Kernel readlink equivalent

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Jan 30 12:17:45 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:02:01AM -0500, David Legault wrote:
> The path used is generic in that it never changes, but the pointed block device
> underneath changes based on the hardware/configuration in place. So the idea
> was to load a module passing the path as a module argument so I could access
> the underlying block device through the link without having to worry about the
> real block device path.

I don't understand at all.  What exactly are you trying to create here?

And don't use a module parameter for anything, you are limiting yourself
to only one "device" that way, as well as preventing any distro from
ever using your code.

What's wrong with just using the device mapper interface in the kernel
for whatever you are trying to do, instead of creating a new user api?

greg k-h