Linux Kernel readlink equivalent

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Jan 29 14:37:37 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 01:11:13PM -0500, David Legault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on some linux kernel driver stuff and I have a fake path called /
> dev/blah/whatever that points to /dev/block/real_device.

That's a userspace "path", right?  Why would the kernel care about this?

> The issue is that lookup_bdev will fail to follow the symlink so I'd like to
> massage the path upfront by getting the real path (/dev/block/real_device) so I
> can hand that off to lookup_bdev so it returns successfully instead of an
> error.

Why are you calling this from within the kernel?  You should have a bdev
already directly within the kernel, no need to muck around in /dev/

What exactly are you doing that you feel you need access to a block
device node?

thanks,

greg k-h