Can I submit simple patches like this to the primary ML?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Jan 29 09:19:12 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 09:27:48AM -0200, Vinícius Tinti wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 3:07 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> >> In fact it causes a warning on Clang which complains that:
> >>
> >>    arch/x86/tools/relocs.c:977:6: warning: variable 'do_reloc' is used
> >> uninitialized whenever 'if' condition is false
> >> [-Wsometimes-uninitialized]
> >
> > I suggest you file a bug with clang, gcc doesn't have this problem at
> > all as obviously, if you look at the code, that variable can never be
> > used uninitialized.
>
> I can simply turn down this kind of warning.

Or you can send a bug report to the clang developers so they can fix it,
which would be best in the end, right?

> >> I think there is not a problem on the current code but to avoid
> >> further problems I believe it is worth to initialize this function
> >> with NULL.
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > Don't paper over bugs in the compiler with kernel code changes for no
> > good reason :)
>
> Agreed. But whenever I find a warning in GCC during the build what
> should I do with it?

Depends on the specific warning, and what type of fix it requires.  If
you do see them, and you are running with the latest version of gcc, and
the warning is for a problem that is real (hint, this problem was not
real as the code showed), then yes, of course submit a patch for it.

> Can I simply send it to the main ml?

Use the scripts/get_maintainer.pl tool on your patch to determine who to
send it to and what mailing lists to copy.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h