New member

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Jan 25 14:48:31 EST 2015

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 10:07:44 -0800, Satwantjit Kaur said:
> >     I am a final year B.Tech (CSE) student from NIT Jalandhar. I like
> > programming and I know C and C++ programming languages. I have worked
> > on IPC and socket programming in C/C++. I wish to take up a project in
> > Linux Kernel development and contribute to it. Can somebody guide me
> > further?

... snip ...

> Consider the difference between "I'd like to write a book, but have
> no idea what to write about, can somebody suggest whether to write
> fantasy, or a romance, or non-fiction about sports, or something",
> and "I'm thinking about a story about the adventures of a Roman
> centurion fighting the Gauls, but need help making it historically
> accurate".

  i think this is the best analogy i've seen to answer this question
... "i want to write a book, can anyone suggest what i should write
about?"

  if you haven't taken the time to peruse the *vast* amount of kernel
material out there and at least started to concentrate on a subsystem
of interest, it's pointless to throw out an utterly general question
like that.

  i agree with valdis ... if you won't even take the time to narrow
down your field of interest and do a little reading on your own, it's
unlikely you're going to make any major contributions.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca