Debugging an ARP issue (no resp to ARP requests)

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Mon Jan 19 20:16:03 EST 2015

You'd mentioned earlier that your setup was this:

xeth0 - 192.168.2.1
xeth2 - 192.168.2.2

That looks to me like two network interfaces on the same subnet, though that's my guess since you don't show the prefix lengths. I'm guessing the subnet on both is 192.168.2/24.

Unless things have changed since the last time I looked into this, for IPv4 Linux implements what's referred to as the "weak" address binding model where IP addresses are considered to belong to the host not the interface. That means your host may be transmitting an ARP response, but not out the interface you expect, particularly if in fact you have the same subnet assigned to more than one interface.

You might want to tcpdump on all interfaces when you do this.

Also, you might want to include the output of the following in future posts:

ip addr show
ip route show
ip neigh show

Jeff Haran