Port Newer Kernel to Android Device

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Feb 23 12:54:35 EST 2015

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:50:52 -0500, Nick Krause said:
> I was curious if this is possible. As other distros like
> Red Hat are very hard to port the patches to from the
> main line kernel.

Forward porting the patches isn't much trouble - the Rawhide guys seem to be
able to do that almost *every single day*, since they build against a
near-nightly pull from Linus's git tree.

What's difficult is beating patches into a condition that can be merged
upstream - often the patch is one that the upstream maintainer doesn't want to
accept (for instance, of the 60 patches in today's Rawhide kernel
(kernel-3.20.0-0.rc0.git10.1.fc23.src.rpm), we have things like:

die-floppy-die.patch - removes the PNP alias for floppy drives.  Not
suitable for upstream until we finally get disgustipated enough to
throw floppy.c overboard.

silence-fbcon-logo.patch - suppresses the framebuffer CPU icons at boot,
and not suitable for upstream because it only exists to support Plymouth.

hibernate-Disable-in-a-signed-modules-environment.patch - another one-liner
that there's considerable room to disagree whether it should be upstream.
Yes, it enhances security.  However, it also puts a significant crimp in
usability.

Most of the Android patches are in a similar boat - they're probably not
that hard to drag along release to release, but they're almost impossible
to upstream due to philosophical differences.