Zram not working on a different Android version

Leandro M Barbosa lbarbosa at linux.com
Tue Feb 3 10:37:01 EST 2015

Hello all,

I'm testing zram on Android. Testing using stock kitkat (Android
4.4.2) version in a Samsung S4 went well and I was able to make
modifications and use my modified kernel on it just fine, as well as
using a custom compiled unmodified version.

I then, installed Cyanogenmod (Android 4.4.4) and installed a custom
compiled unmodified kernel version in it. However, running the same
benchmark tests that I ran for the stock version didn't make zram get
pages. I was able to use about 70% or more memory and no swap spaced
was used.

I'm checking /sys/block/zram0/mem_used_total (and related) and
/proc/swaps. There seem to be no difference between the two test
scenarios. I made tests using the same compiled kernels in both
Android version with the same results: works on stock, does not work
on Cyanogenmod. I tried to reach the xda-developers to no avail. There
must be some runtime kernel configuration differences between the two
scenarios. Anyone able to point me towards the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

--
Leandro Moreira Barbosa