Ftrace: tracing init call of out of tree modules

Jay Aurabind jay.aurabind at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 05:14:38 EST 2015

On 10 December 2015 at 18:49, Abel Vesa <abelvesa at gmail.com> wrote:

>> However, as soon as I rmmod the driver, set_ftrace_filter becomes
>> empty automatically.
>
> Out-of-tree means the module is not build together with the kernel.
>

>> So how do I do a trace on out-of-tree modules I have ?
>>

> If you built your driver without building it together with the kernel,
> you can trace it as any other module after you insmod it.
>
> Cheers,
> Abel

I would like to know about both the cases - in tree and out of tree modules:

Assume that  I have an in-tree module, and I need to do tracing on it
right from the start, including its init. Those functions are only
detected in available_filter_functions if the module is inserted. If
the module i already inserted, I cant trace the init function anymore
since the init has already finished.

What is the solution with ftrace? Or should I resort to some other
tracing tool ?

--

Thanks and Regards,
Aurabindo J