Tracing built-in drivers ?

Andrey Skvortsov andrej.skvortzov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:59:25 EST 2015

On 08 Dec, Jay Aurabind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know I can use ftrace or perf to do tracing on modules that I can
> load from the userspace. But what if I want to do tracing on a driver
> which is built in ? For example, i915. There wouldnt be any userspace
> to trigger a trace when  it does an init. Even if I recompile i915 as
> a module, I am not able to unload it.
>
> Are there any specific tools or techniques for doing this ?

Hi, Jay,

if you need to trace init functions of built-in drivers, you can
enable ftrace at kernel start using parameters:
ftrace, ftrace_filter, ftrace_notrace,... .

See Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for more details.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Skvortsov

Secure eMail with gnupg: See http://www.gnupg.org/