What are the differences between the -next tree and the -mm tree?

Giovanni Gherdovich g.gherdovich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:37:23 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Silvan Jegen <me at sillymon.ch> wrote:

> I think it is Stephen Rothwell that manages linux-next (look at the
author of the tags here[0]).

> [0] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git

Right, thanks!

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Hao Lee <haolee.swjtu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry to bother you to ask some questions about -next tree and -mm
tree.
> I have read some documents about kernel trees, but I don't know the
> difference between the -next tree and -mm tree.

Me neither apparently: it turns out I am only spreading misinformation.

I checked Wikipedia and the "Linux Kernel" page[0] says:

"After the change of the development model with 2.6.x, developers continued
to want what one might call an unstable kernel tree, one that changes as
rapidly as new patches come in. Andrew Morton decided to repurpose his -mm
tree from memory management to serve as the destination for all new and
experimental code. In September 2007 Morton decided to stop maintaining
this tree.[128] In February 2008, Stephen Rothwell created the linux-next
tree to serve as a place where patches aimed to be merged during the next
development cycle are gathered."

More over there is also a Wikipedia entry for "mm tree"[1]

"Among Linux kernel developers, the -mm tree refers to a version of the
kernel source code maintained by Andrew Morton.  [...]  Historically, the
-mm tree focused on new developments for the memory management part of the
kernel (mm)."

Sorry for the long and wrong reply I gave earlier.

Cheers,
Giovanni

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mm_tree