Best tests to measure Kernel Performance

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 18:57:23 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:38 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 18:45:51 -0600, Victor Rodriguez said:
>> Despite the fact that this is not a well formulated question.
>
> Exactly why it's hard to give a good answer.  It *really* depends on
> what aspect you're interested in - I/O bandwidth, throughput, latency,
> or other.  What I currently do at $DAYJOB is worry how fast I can get
> a cluster of servers to flip blocks to and from disk to 40Gbit network
> interfaces, and we've found a combo of iozone's and 'tar xf linux-2.6.32.tar.gz'
> running at the same time is a good stand-in for our production workload.
>
> Of course, your mileage will vary. :)

Iozone is fine and I think you give me a good reason to turn my eyes
into it again . I decided not to check it due to the fact that is a
micro bench and sometimes users want numbers of something they can
feel ( how fast can I de compres , how many transactions per second
can my DB manage , how fast can I build my product )

I was answering in Greg mail , that it might be good to came with a
BKM of tests for the kernel , a list of linked test ( if you move this
you will affect that , please test before commit ) , it might be just
an initial idea but sure for industry might be something helpful

Feedback more than welcome

Regards

Victor Rodriguez