Requirement to customize Linux Network Interface naming Convention

Akash Bhatnagar actiononmail at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:39:59 EDT 2015

Hi Greg,

Thanks for a quick reply, "We" means me and my manager :)

In our company we provide HTTP based View to  User with naming conventions
of interfaces in these formats.
This is done and stored via higher layer applications in Databases and a
lower application (X) will
make interfaces at Linux Level accordingly.

Thus, we need to maintain a mapping of names, of what user have given with
what is created. This mapping is available to only X and not to other Linux
daemons (like dhcpd etc). Right now, all daemons need some tweaking in
order to fetch the
mappings from X.

Hence, there comes requirement to store all the mapping somehow inside
kernel
so that every daemon can easily accessible Interface related information
via ioctls.

Thanks
Akash Bhatnagar