Fwd: USB Driver - Device No Response standard compliant

Christian N cnegris01 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:14:18 EDT 2015

>> I know that the presentation of the message is the responsibility of
>> the application (user space), but to do this is necesary an event from
>> usb driver (I think it).

>A timeout with no activity at all can do it.. That's Userspace C 101 -
>select() with a timeout...

To implement a timout first, an event is needed. The standar state "when
device is attached...". This is a physical event, so at this time the user
space needs an event from kernel space, to know that something should be
done (start timout, show message or anything else). The problem is that the
only message is "unable to enumerate USB device on port...", but this one
can't be trapped frome u/mdev (I thought)

>>                          Nowdays when a non responsive device is
>> attached, "unable to enumerate USB device on port... " is logged a in
>> dmesg, but not event is dispatched (by example in usb_uevent).
>> Without an event application should poll the log (loading the system
>> unnecessarily) searching new "not responsive devices".
>>
>> To comply with the standard usb driver should be modified?

>No, because userspace can detect the condition on its own and tell
>a user about it.

> I'm probably confusing responsibilities of user and kernel space. I
> appreciate your opinion/answer.

Yes, you are.  Although I suspect the "standard" you're quoting is
confusing them as well....