Question about assembly in set bit function for x86 architecture

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Apr 20 12:29:12 EDT 2015

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu writes:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:08:17 -0400, Nicholas Krause said:
>
>> The reason I am asking is that is assembly worth my time to learn for this
>> part of the kernel, I understand  it's use in boot code but outside of that and
>> cache memory lines in architecture directories there is very little, 95 percent
>> of the kernel is written in C.  In addition due to this the only practical
>> reason I  can thing of is for debugging,  how useful is assembly for kernel
>> debugging is my other question about this topic.
>
> We're not going to bail you out here, Nick.  Either learn enough assembly
> to answer your question, or don't obsess over one line of code and assume
> it works.

It's not necessary to limit this advice by language or specific lines of
code.

NO part of the kernel can be understood without investing some time
trying to learn. But fear not - there is a shortcut available for those
(assuming there might be more than one) who refuse to learn:

  Assume it works.

OK, I'll admit taking that route more than once myself :-)

Bjørn