Kernel thread scheduling

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 00:16:01 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-11 11:02 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 04/11/2015 10:21 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:

>>> Ctags is useful for searching the code, which is why I am recommending it.
>>> Nick
>>
>> I have it built into gvim, but you can't use it from a textbook.  I'm
>> finding it is not as useful as it could be for the kernel code.  There
>> are stacks of tags to get around.  Another 2 days to learn to get around
>> tags in vi is not in the agenda right now.  It is the tool I have so
>> I'll have to live with it right now.
>>
>> I also have a question that is not obvious from the code I'm looking at.
>>  I'm not sure how these structs are attached together.  Or more
>> specifically, I'm not sure how pulling the correct sched_entity gets one
>> the coresponding task_entity
>>
>> You have
>> struct task_struct with a
>> 	struct sched_entity
>>
>> struct sched_enitities are nodes in the RB tree
>> 	which are a "container" for "struct rb_node run_node".
>>
>> So a look at sched_entity ... is in ../linux/sched.h
>>
>> 1161 struct sched_entity {
>> 1162    struct load_weight   load;    /* for load-balancing */
>> 1163    struct rb_node    run_node;
>> 1164    struct list_head  group_node;
>> 1165    unsigned int      on_rq;
>> 1166
>> 1167    u64         exec_start;
>> 1168    u64         sum_exec_runtime;
>> 1169    u64         vruntime;
>> 1170    u64         prev_sum_exec_runtime;
>> 1171
>> 1172    u64         nr_migrations;
>> 1173
>> 1174 #ifdef CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS
>> 1175    struct sched_statistics statistics;
>> 1176 #endif
>> 1177
>> 1178 #ifdef CONFIG_FAIR_GROUP_SCHED
>> 1179    int         depth;
>> 1180    struct sched_entity  *parent;
>> 1181    /* rq on which this entity is (to be) queued: */
>> 1182    struct cfs_rq     *cfs_rq;
>> 1183    /* rq "owned" by this entity/group: */
>> 1184    struct cfs_rq     *my_q;
>> 1185 #endif
>> 1186
>> 1187 #ifdef CONFIG_SMP
>> 1188    /* Per-entity load-tracking */
>> 1189    struct sched_avg  avg;
>> 1190 #endif
>> 1191 };
>>
>> I see no means of referencing a specific task from this struct that
>> forms the node.  So when you pull the node with the smallest vruntime
>> from the left most postion of the RB tree, by calling pick_next_task(),
>>

>> static struct sched_entity *__pick_next_entity(struct sched_entity *se)
>> {
>> 	struct rb_node *next = rb_next(&se->run_node);
This finds the next node in the red black tree for  sched_enities.
Basically rb_next finds the next node in the tree. The argument is
the rb_node structure embedded in the structure using a red black
tree.

>> 	if (!next)
>> 		return NULL;

If there is no runnable task return NULL and pick_next_task will run the
idle_task for this cpu.
>> 	return rb_entry(next, struct sched_entity, run_node);
>> }
>>

>> how do we know what task we are attached to?

Also try to read Chapter 6 of Linux Kernel Development as if have read that
chapter understanding how red black trees and other data structures work in
kernel code would make more sense.
Nick