pci devices

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Apr 9 02:21:52 EDT 2015

On Wed, 08 Apr 2015 22:18:46 -0700, A B said:

> One of my pci device is not showing up in /proc/pci/bus/devices. I'm using
> 2.6.36 kernel. which part of code i can look to troubleshoot, i'm looking
> at drivers/pci/probe.c. Any pointers / tips will be helpful

Wow.  If the device isn't even showing up at all in /sys/bus/pci/devices, my
first question is "Convince me that your PCI device is in fact functional and
plugged in all the way".  If it can't even get its slot/function number
and vendor/card codes right, it's most likely either mis-seated or dead. I
can't remember the last time I saw this caused by a software problem - even
devices that don't *have* a driver will at least show up as an unknown PCI
device.