Out of openat flag space

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:04:03 EDT 2015

On April 7, 2015 1:05:42 PM EDT, David Legault <legault.david at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Now that we have O_TMPFILE and O_BENEATH added to the openat flags,
>there
>is no space left to add more flags since the flags variable is a 32 bit
>int. How does one resolve this issue and extend this? A new syscall
>with a
>64bit wide flags support?
>
>http://www.spinics.net/lists/fstests/msg01064.html
>
>Thanks
>
>David

That would be the easiest way to my knowledge.  However with anything system call related,  test it out in every way you can think of as not to break user space applications using this call already .  I am curious through as to your reasoning for changing this system call as generally this is only done only  with either a very good  reason or when it  is a must.
Hope this helps,
Nick