console fonts

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sat Sep 20 10:41:17 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 09:47:10AM -0400, John de la Garza wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:12:23PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > the kernel EFI framebuffer driver is "odd", and probably can not support
> > your console fonts.  I know mine can not, sorry.
> >

> When the machine first starts loading the kernel it swtiches from the tiny
> fonts that gummiboot uses to the Sparc 12x22 fonts, then switches back.

gummiboot "uses" the default UEFI terminal mode, it doesn't select any
specific font or size, it just uses what UEFI provides it.

Same for the UEFI console driver, I don't think there is a way to change
the fonts for it.

> What framebuffer driver is being used when the kernel first starts

The "default" framebuffer.  VGA perhaps?  You can try to force it to be
this one but on an UEFI system, I don't think it will work.

> I tried disabling the EFI-based Framebuffer thinking it would
> not switch, but this causes no output at all after gummiboot.
>
> My point is, my system *does* show the fonts I want (for a second) so this
> makes me think it can support this.

Good luck, and let us know if you get this working, as my machines would
like to see it happen as well, but I don't know if it is possible.

greg k-h