Ramping up on Linux code.

Bruno Guedes Souto brunoguedes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:40:56 EDT 2014

pranay sharma <pranaysharma08 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to ramp up on linux kernel and dive deep into network code.
Any pointers on this will be really helpful.

As a real newbie myself, what I've read on multiple sources is:
Do the eudyptula challenge. And that's what I'm doing right now, plus a
bunch of reading on kernel devel and the linux kernel in general. The books
recommended by the community are usually Linux Kernel Development 3rd
Edition by Robert Love (usually called LKD3) and Linux Kernel in a Nutshell
by Greg KH.

This alone will bring your game up to speed about kernel development and
knowing how the kernel works.

There is a really good recent email from Robert P. J. Day with some good
pointers also about reading the documentations. You can see this email here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.kernelnewbies/48673

> I am pretty new to this group and hence might have missed, earliermails if
any, on similar topic
> Thanks in advance!!
> Regards,Pranay.

You can search the entire database of the kernelnewbies mailing list using
various sources. Just google "kernelnewbies mailing list archive" and pick
your preferred method.

Regards

BGS