Issues with Community

Jason Conklin jason.conklin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:51:59 EDT 2014

First of all, if you missed my email on this topic (sent a few weeks ago),
please go read or reread it.[1] Things were relatively quiet on this
"front" until this week.

This is all my opinion (and I carry no clout here), but if you are
frustrated or annoyed by Nick's emails, the best thing you can do for him
and for this list is just to ignore them.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think anyone is ~obligated~ to
review or respond to every patch, or think about every question raised --
and frankly, all this exasperation about Nick creates a lot more noise in
my inbox than the questions and patches themselves. And as a newbie myself,
I've actually learned a thing or two from it all.

I commend those of you who have continued to respond patiently to Nick, as
well as those who haven't banned him. I don't know that there is an ideal
short-term solution here, but I do notice that his input has changed
gradually over the past few months; I suspect that could continue.

Perhaps continued repetition of the idea that he set aside patch submission
as a goal and use bug reports as a way to explore and better understand the
kernel.

[1] http://
<http://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2014-August/011895.html>
lists.kernelnewbies.org