A quick guide to why stand-alone checkpatch patches suck...

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Sep 17 08:00:39 EDT 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> On September 17, 2014 7:20:42 AM EDT, "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> >  and, as we've all seen, nick's other flaw is that, quite simply,
> >he's selfish and greedy. his entire obsession is with the output of
> >checkpatch, which means he wants to grab all the trivial cleanup (the
> >low-hanging fruit, as it were) for himself, and not leave any for
> >others. rather than take the time to understand the code, nick wants
> >checkpatch to do all the work for him. in the end, nick doesn't want
> >to do any work or understand how the kernel actually works -- he just
> >wants patches, and he wants them as quickly and cheaply as possible.
>
> Nick and his patches may have plenty of flaws, but I think it is a
> bit crazy to call his effort to get his first patch into the kernel
> greedy.

  i was actually referring to nick's more recent posting where he
vowed to use his patch as the template to start cleaning up all of
drivers/staging/. i thought i was fairly clear that there is nothing
wrong with *starting* with stylistic cleanup, but nick made it quite
clear he planned on doing this all over drivers/staging. *that* is
what i was referring to.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca