Checkpatch Patches

Hugo Mills hugo at carfax.org.uk
Tue Sep 16 12:10:55 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:44:59AM -0400, Nick Krause wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:19 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:44:27 -0400, nick said:
> >
> >> I am attaching two check patch patches I wrote in the last few days as I am unable to get a reply
> >> from the maintainers. Would someone please send them off for me.
> >
> > "I am attaching".  Fail 3 words in.
[snip]
> I am going to attach it again and I understand Valdis. I am going to
> talk to Sudip about reading and checking
> my patches first.

    The email that you are replying to repeats the statement that
attaching the patches is the wrong thing to be doing. And yet, in the
reply, you talk about attaching patches.

   Can you please explain what's going on here?

   Did you forget about it while you were writing the three line
response? Did you simply ignore the words? Did you assume that it
didn't apply to you? Did you merely think it wasn't important? Do you
have short-term memory problems? Is there something else I don't know
about?

   I understand that you're a student (or will shortly be one), and so
far you're showing *major* learning difficulties, without any apparent
self-identification of the fact. If you do actually have some kind of
learning difficulty, you're going to have to take charge of it
yourself, seek professional advice, use that to work out how you can
learn, and start doing it, because if you behave like this in any
institution of higher learning, you're going to have big problems,
probably very quickly.

   You've spent two months, with *lots* of explicit recommendations on
how you should be modifying your behaviour (i.e. learning), and so far
you've utterly failed to do so. It's up to you to seek help in
identifying the difficulties you have in learning, and to use the
results of that to work out how you can do so. This kernel development
environment is *absolutely* the wrong one for you to be doing that
exercise in. I doubt that there are many (if any) people on this
mailing list who have the knowledge or skills to help you. I am
certain that if there are any, none of them would be willing to start
the process via email.

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk