Improve my Rep

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 15 18:01:07 EDT 2014

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:13:42 -0600, Jake Campbell said:
> Is there any other challenges out there similar to Eudyptula that Nick
> could follow instead since he was kicked out?

The vast majority of such things have a "must be able to follow the
rules and guidelines" requirement, so I fear Nick may not have many options
there.

> I'm asking for my benefit (being a Kernel Newbie in training myself) and

The bar for hacking kernel code isn't *that* high - I'll go out on a limb
and say that over half the kernel was written by people with relatively
low skill levels who would have to work hard to get through Eudyptula. There's
a *lot* of code that boils down to "I need *this* 3 line tweak to make driver
xxyzzy-pci work on my Frobnizz-2000".

All it takes is actually understanding C, a basic understanding of how locking
works and when and why it's needed, a willingness to learn that part of the
kernel API that relates to the task you're working on, and the ability to
actually listen to those mentoring you.

Find something small you care about, and dive in! :)