Improve my Rep

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 10:48:30 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify at gmail.com> wrote:
> After issues with the community I am wondering how to improve my rep
> and help out more.
> I will start out with check patch but if there is other work please
> let me known :).

Sorry, check.patch is a great tool but sending in patches that merely
correct issues found by check.patch won't help your rep.

check.patch should be used on every submission, but as a reason on its
own to submit a patch, it is very weak.  Lots of day-one kernel
programmers want to jump on check.patch identified code clean-ups, but
in general the maintainers don't want to accept patches that are
merely going to clean up check.patch identified issues.

If there are check.patch related problems in the area you want to
patch, then a 2 patch series is the minimum you should send in:

1/2 - clean up check.patch related issues prior to submitting actual fix
2/2 - actual fix

fyi: submitting a patch to do a fix that fails check.patch is
definitely a reason for a patch to be rejected.

Greg