suspend/resume PM criterion for application

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Sep 10 14:39:38 EDT 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:23:28 +0300, Ran Shalit said:

> As far as I understand, suspend/respond PM is not per device, but for
> all system,
> and wakeup source will resume again the whole system.
> I think you mean runtime suspend/resume in the answer.

The original question didn't specify. You said "suspending that application",
not the entire system.

And runtime suspend/resume of devices and even the CPU does fit within
your original question constraints.

If you're looking at system-wide suspend/resume specificially, there's
two basic schemes in use:

1) User hits a button, acpid or similar notices, and does a suspend to
disk/ram/papertape/whatever.

2) User hits a button, closes the lid, or a user inactivity timer expires.
A process notices, and asks all processes which have registered for suspend
notifications "Is it OK if we suspend?", and if nobody says "Nay", it does it.
If a process complains, it is repeatedly polled until it finishes whatever it
was doing and says "OK now".