Loosing stdin/stdout over serial consoleafter bootup

Sudip Mukherjee sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 01:39:20 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Mandeep Sandhu
<mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> are you really seriously expecting an answer within 2 hours of posting
>> your question, and that too a question not related to any kernel
>> problem ?
>
> And how are you so sure about that? It could very well be an incorrect
> kernel command line or a missing config in the kernel. So don't jump
> to conclusions.

according to my understanding if it was a problem of kernel command
line or a missing config in the kernel , then you wont have got the
output while booting. but since you are getting the output while
booting and the output stops once the control is handed over to your
bash, that implies it is something with the configuration.
ofcourse i can be wrong , but if i was in your position now , i would
have looked at configuration for busybox compilation.

>> this is a configuration issue . check if you have a file /etc/inittab .
>> usually the setting will be there - but it again depends on the
>> filesystem you are using.
>
> This is a busybox build and it's spawning a shell on startup:
>
> ::askfirst:-/bin/onie-console
>
> Where onie-console is:
>
> cat bin/onie-console
> #!/bin/sh
>
> cat /etc/issue
> exec /bin/sh -l
>
> This is being run from the initrd image.
>
> And how is this related to the filesystem?

i said about filesystem , because you have not mentioned in your first
mail that you are running busybox. you mentioned x86 board and bash ,
so it could have been any linux distribution .

thanks
sudip