Loosing stdin/stdout over serial consoleafter bootup

Sudip Mukherjee sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 01:37:03 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Mandeep Sandhu
<mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone?

are you really seriously expecting an answer within 2 hours of posting
your question, and that too a question not related to any kernel
problem ?

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Mandeep Sandhu
> <mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm having a strange problem of loosing stdout output over serial console.
>>
>> I'm booting a kernel (3.14.16) on a x86_64 based board with a serial
>> port. The board has Grub and Linux (with a minimal initrd) installed
>> on a SATA HDD and starts linux with the following cmdline parameters
>> from GRUB:
>>
>> console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 init=/bin/bash
>>
>> Grub loads the kernel fine and I can see the various debug messages on minicom.
>>
>> However, once the kernel starts init (i.e bash), I stop seeing any
>> output. There's no error, no crash anywhere. It just looks like the
>> stdin/stdout of the application (in this case bash) is not connected
>> to the serial console.

this is a configuration issue . check if you have a file /etc/inittab .
usually the setting will be there - but it again depends on the
filesystem you are using.

thanks
sudip