Testing Code for Btrfs

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 23:38:18 EDT 2014

On September 5, 2014 10:48:52 PM EDT, nick <xerofoify at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey Guys,
>After purchasing a hard drive for btrfs testing, I am wondering what
>areas of testing you would like me to do.
>In addition this drive is enterprise based, a Seagate Constellation so
>feel free to hammer it with the tests
>as you wish :), I have no important data on it and don't care about
>losing it.
>Nick

Nick,

The first thing you should do is run the xfstest suite against it.  You will find that every test has a list of file systems it is expected to pass.  There are generic tests that all file systems should pass and then others that will have btrfs listed by itself or with others that should pass.

After each meaningful filesystem patch, days of automated xfstest runs are required to prove the new code hasn't broken anything.

Remember the name xfstest is a legacy name.  The suite is now used to test all Linux file systems.

Greg