Resources to teach from C to Kernel Development?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 2 11:37:52 EDT 2014

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:49:01 +0100, Ed Holmes said:

> Can you recommend me any books or online resources to teach a C programmer
> Kernel development? I can program in C but I don't really know where to go from
> there. I've tried the Eucalyptus challenge but it just suggests things to try.
> No actual tutorial.

Kernel development is a field that isn't very friendly to people who need
tutorials, sorry.  There's a few things like LDD3 and the Eudyptula stuff, but
in general you really need to be the sort of programmer who can figure this
stuff out for themselves, because APIs are *constantly* being changed, updated,
and added/removed.  LDD3 is pretty much as good as it gets, and even that gets
outdated because we're moving along at about a million lines a release.  So
there's a good amount of "sink or swim" involved here.