booting kernel with kvm

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Wed Oct 15 14:48:32 EDT 2014

[Could you please, one of these days, look into the ways you can make
gmail send plain text? Note that the Linux kernel mailing list simply
rejects html messages.]

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 23:20 +0530, harisha ja wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Paul Bolle <pebolle at tiscali.nl> wrote:
> Does vmware emulate the KVM related chip functionality (ie,
> "VT" for an
> x86 Intel CPU or "AMD-V (SVM)" for x86 AMD CPU)?
>
> I am not sure about this. How I can check it?

With the command you quoted yourself in another message in this thread
(but slightly edited by me):
    egrep -o '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

And by Googling on "vmware" and "kvm" or "nested kvm". I'm not sure what
the current state is of kvm run inside virtualization tools, sorry.

> Windows7 (Host) -> Ubuntu 12 ( Installed on top of windows7 using
> vmware ) -> KVM ( I am trying to load the kernal image built using
> This KVM)

I see. (Maybe it might be easier to run qemu directly, with the -kernel
option, using (a copy of) your Ubuntu 12 vmware image. Ask around on
qemu related forums, lists, etc.)

> I am getting many messages like booting from ROM and Decompressing
> linux kernel and then it prints lot of other messages but not sure how
> I can redirecting those from kvm terminal to txt file.  I am not being
> able to attach the screen-shots because of email size restrictions.

Again, ask around on qemu related forums or lists, etc.

> I changed this and it tried to boot the kernal but after that kvm is
> not giving any console.

There's probably a qemu command line option involved. Ask around... (see
above).

> I don't want to do make install and and reboot
> complete ubuntu to check my print log because I feel it takes more
> time.

You might need to tweak the qemu image you use inside your vmware image.
The vmware image should not be the issue (see another message from me in
this thread).

Hope this helps,

Paul Bolle