using SD card on Broadcom 4709 eval board

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Sun Nov 23 06:09:15 EST 2014

On Sat, 2014-11-22 at 17:05 -0800, Abu Rasheda wrote:
>         > depends on B43 && SSB_SDIOHOST_POSSIBLE && EXPERIMENTAL,
>
>         EXPERIMENTAL was removed in v3.9. So this concerns a pre-v3.9
>         tree?
>
> Yes, it is 2.6 kernel.

Which v2.6 release? There were 40, the first was released in December
2003, the last in May 2011. Quite a few things changed in that period.

> I know this is  extremely old.I just want to have SD card working, any
> suggestions ?

The "depends on" line you quoted was added in v2.6.32, which is still
supported, so the tree you're using might not be seen as "extremely old"
by everyone.

>         > off the above B43 is only shows up in arch/ppc,
>
>         You mean you can only set B43 if configuring for ARCH=ppc?
>
> I did a grep and only found B43 under arch/ppc, so I guess when
> ARCH=ppc is selected.

What did you actually grep for, and in what tree?

>         >  which does not make sense, as this CPU is arm based.
>         >
>         > Any guidance will be appreciated.
>
> So what I am missing ?

Useful answers?

See, you original question was:
> I have been trying to use SD card on Broadcom's 4709 eval board. Linux
> kernel tree provided with SDK seems to have few SDIO drivers, but non
> of them seems to be working or more accurately, loading them does not
> list device in /proc/devices, so I can create block file to mount it.
>
> After googling and searching through Linux kernel tree, it seems like
> B43_SDIO is correct option to turn on, since the controller seems to
> be on the Broadcom CPU (4709) process itself (am I correct ?).

It seems B43_SDIO supports wireless cards, of the Broadcom 43xx family,
that have a SDIO interface. I'm _guessing_ that these are (fairly
obscure) WLAN cards which can be plugged into a SD slot. Probably not
what you're looking for.

Which, actually, might be SD card support. Currently apparently
available through MMC, one of the options found in
drivers/mmc/host/Kconfig (perhaps MMC_SDHCI_BCM_KONA or
MMC_SDHCI_BCM2835?) and MMC_BLOCK.

Anyhow, grepping the mainline tree for 4709 did reveal "config
ARCH_BCM_5301X", which supports the BCM4709 SoC. But that Kconfig symbol
was only added in v3.15, see commit 5b293ebe7572 ("ARM: BCM5301X:
initial support for the BCM5301X/BCM470X SoCs with ARM CPU"). And that
still doesn't tell you what driver to use here.

The above is a verbose way to admit that I don't really know how to
determine what you need to get SD cards working. MAINTAINERS mentions
the bcm-kernel-feedback-list at broadcom.com list. Perhaps that can be of
help.

Paul Bolle