Choosing the right environment

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:36:51 EST 2014

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:54:05 +0530, somebody said:
> > - I could go with a virtual machine on one of my main machines – But I'm not
> > quite sure whether the hardware-abstraction will give me troubles when
> > hacking on hardware drivers (which I want to start with)

If you're hacking at hardware drivers, you *hopefully* have the hardware
to test with.  At that point, the *biggest* question is "What does that
hardware plug into?".   If it's a USB device, you have lots of options for
the host hardware.  If it's a PCI card, you need a system that has PCI
slots.  If you're hacking on the Raspberri Pi camera driver, you're kind of
going to need a Pi.  And so on....