Managing kernel-updates in rpm

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Mar 25 10:06:44 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 06:18:35PM +0530, Saket Sinha wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Please find my response inline-
>

> >>        We have a rpm which installs a linux kernel driver. Now this
> >> driver has some kernel-level dependencies especially Development Tools
> >> (kernel-headers etc) such that they depend on running kernel version.
> >
> > I'd ask you first off, why is your kernel driver not merged upstream
> > with the main kernel.org releases, to prevent any of these issues from
> > ever happening?
> >
>    Its a proprietary driver so its not meant to be the part of
> mainline kernel.  :(
>
> > Do you have a pointer to your driver somewhere so we can look at it to
> > determine what is needed to be done to get it merged properly?
> >

> I am sorry but I am not allowed to do that.

Then I'm not allowed to help you, and asking for help from the community
seems a bit rude to the community that you are relying on for your
product.

Take a look at this for details:
	http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/technical-advisory-board-tab/kerneldriverstatement

Good luck with the lawsuits,