A new way to dive into the kernel! [Eudyptula Challenge]

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:15:47 EDT 2014

<snip>

>> Aha - I'm not well plugged into the linux kernel community. I don't
>> have the familiarity with website styles that would lead me to notice
>> patterns. I've used a bunch of them, but that doesn't mean I've paid
>> attention to style.

Oh-kay fair enough... and understood :)

> Unknown competence huh ? Am guessing here as well but that kind of humour
> > can only initiate from gregkh and as you know he is the stable kernel
> > maintainer and has given this a whole lot of thought... and you send out
> > 'testy' emails what did you expect to get back ? You reap what you sow my
> > dear :)
>
> It's all a matter of who has the bigger ego ;-)

"I" myself personally have no ego due to being suddenly made to realize
long years ago by the wifey that if I was being a real jerk then I had to
go cook my own dinner ( Back then I had no idea how to boil an egg let
alone cook a decent meal and yes I was being a jerk ) Soo.. ever since then
I do not subscribe to this ego thing prefer to be humble and laid back !

> I saw a new site that wasn't even in google yet, and made no attempt
> to establish credentials. I also compared it with its supposed model,
> the Matasano Crypto Challenge at
> http://www.matasano.com/articles/crypto-challenges/ and saw major
> differences in things that mattered to me - the crypto site explains
> who is behind it, and includes relevant articles. The Eudylypta site
> has nothing.
>
> Well that link to the Matasano Crypto ChallengeI IS right there on the
eudyptula challenge site that should have rung a bell no ?

> I know I'm competent and well meaning, and don't know that they are,
> and reacted accordingly.

Fair enough again and understood again :)

> _If_ the site owners are people known and well regarded in the linux
> community, _they_ saw a person who wasn't known there, and therefore was
> clueless-by-definition, and should know better than to challenge their
> well regarded majesty - even with them unidentified ;-)

The site uses teh exact same css from kernel.org that makes me think
someone from kernel.org is behind all this ?

> _If_ on the other hand, they were a bunch of college kids being more
> clever than usual about getting the intenet to do their homework (my
> first thought), or trolls wanting to see how many innocent newbies
> they could take in (my second thought) then they saw someone too smart
> to be taken in, who needed to be chased away lest they spoil the
> scam.

Oh-kay my turn to apologize, one lives and learns... you did the right
thing by questioning !

> Their reaction was consistent with either possibility.
>
> > Have no illusions about this it is very REAL and am betting my life's
> > savings this is gregkh at work so you are being mentored by ze man
> himself.
> > Though I somehow do not think he will acknowledge to this..
>
> Perhaps. I'm not familiar with his sense of humour, though recent postings
> (last year) interactions on LKML suggest he's less bitey than Linus,
> which is a good sign.

Like I said am GUESSINg but everything points to gregkh... or someone in
his team !

> Truth to tell, I haven't paid much attention to who's who in the linux
> community, except Mel Gorman, and I'm a lot more likely to read
> linux-mm than the full LKML feed. (Yes, I'm a memory management type,
> by inclination at least.)

Aaagh I dislke  segfaults to little pieces :)

> > It really does not get any better than this, this is sincere transparency
> > and accountability to me but given one has to know where to look but that
> > is all the more fun ?
> >
> > Aruna ( Unknown competence and anti-social my brown skinny ass - no
> offence
> > meant )
>
> *rofl* I can copy someone else's web page source (MIT licensed or
> not) and put up a joke web page using it. If it's appropriately
> licensed (as this one is) I wouldn't even be doing anything
> illegal. That doesn't mean I'm the author of whatever I copy.

True and agreed !

> Anyway, I hope it is Greg Kroah-Hartman, or someone equally
> competent and overall well regarded. Though the truth is, the second
> part doesn't much matter, if people are getting something out of the
> course.

Arlie believe me I personally learnt a whole lot of things and I sincerely
believe anyone joining who has the patience and  perseveres will be a happy
cookie.

You have a happy day my friend :)