A new way to dive into the kernel! [Eudyptula Challenge]

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 02:12:46 EDT 2014

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Rahul Garg <rahul.lnmiit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am also thinking of taking this challenge. But I found very limited
> information on submission.

> So can you help me what we need to submit for the Assigment 1,

Hi Rahul,

Please send in your assigmnet1.c file with the Makefile. Those two
files are what I sent in for Task 01.

> will dmesg (or /proc/kmsg) output and module(assignement1.c and
> Makeflie) be enough ??

Yes this will be fine, what I sent in for Task 01 wa tail -f
/var/log/messages you can use any method of choice to prove you
actually did compile then load and unload the module. Entirely left up
to you :)

>Also is there any group of forum where we can discuss assignments ?

I felt the same when I first started on this but over time I have
realised why we are asked to do this alone. It simply makes us search
for relevant information and we learn the hard way but what is learnt
will never be forgotten unlike cutting and pasting some working code
someone else did. That being said when ever I have had questions or
got stuck with a assignment I have found most times immediate and fast
helpful responses so I feel if you first TRY then submit what you have
that will be the begining of a very enlightening journey for you as it
has definitely been for me.

I am on my fifth task and this is something I have always wanted to
learn to do ever since I first started meddling with DOS Interrupts
way back in 1982 and that is writing device drivers.

Whatever you send in please make sure it is in PLAIN TEXT format, else
will immediately be rejected. There is valid reason behind this and
that is all linux kernel level work is done using git and email and
plain text is the preferred mode of patch submission.

Hope this has helped and I wish you good luck. It is fully worth
investing your time in as I have learnt so much I am humbled.

Thank's - Aruna