how to test the vanilla kernel

Pranay Srivastava pranjas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 10:48:01 EDT 2014

On Jun 22, 2014 5:57 PM, "shubham k" <skaushal.lk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have virtual m/c with ubuntu linux-kernel 3.2.xx. Suppose I made any
fix in latest kernel say 3.16-rcx and want to test those changes. How i
should go about it? I am thinking to compile the modified kernel 3.16-rcx
and install it like standard procedure (make, make modules, make
modules_install, make install) and boot the ubuntu in runlevl=3, to avoid
GUI as it may not work with latest vanilla kernel and test kernel with
existing root filesystem. Is it the right approach or need to create
separate boot partition and root filesystem? If not please let me know the
right way to test kernel.

> my host config x-86 core i5.

You may need to create initial ramfs image as well.  See how to use
mkinitrd.