How to test a syscall prior to compiling the kernel

Dipanjan Das mail.dipanjan.das at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 23:59:39 EDT 2014

Hi Greg,

You have misunderstood the question. That, too, because me being too brief.

What I tried to mean is NOT to test the syscall after the modified kernel
is compiled and booted. That's easy.

To add the syscall to the kernel, one needs to drop a C code implementing
the body of the call itself to some appropriate location of the kernel
source tree. Isn't it so? I am doing that for the first time and want to be
sure that the compilation, especially the includes work. Otherwise, the
kernel compilation may throw an error midway, thereby wasting my time.