Doubt Regarding Floating Point Arithmetic

Peter Teoh htmldeveloper at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:31:25 EDT 2014

You are welcome.

To sidetrack, there is a longstanding vulnerability/security bug or just a
"feature" of linux kernel though:

If you compile any program with "float" or "double" type declaration, you
will see that a lot of "XMM" registers and its instruction set being used.
  But searching the entire kernel source for XMM, we know the kernel don't
touch these registers.

So if u were to do your security keys calculation on these registers, then
beware that upon being context-switched (which can happened anytime, beyond
your control), another process can easily view all the XMM registers
contents, and thus potentially looking at your secret keys.

Same goes with the GPU as well (which has been commonly used for password
cracking) - simply because the kernel don't touch these "memory" sources
inside the kernel, and thus cross-process it is possible to have
information leakage.

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh