usb serial programming

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 20 23:19:00 EDT 2014

Not sure if this is the right venue for this question, please direct me to
the right place if it's not.

I have a C program that opens the serial port /dev/ttyS0 and sends commands
(as strings) back and forth to a pan-tilt-zoom camera. That works very well,
but I want to use the camera with a Raspberry Pi, which of course does not
have a serial port (RS232). One option is to use a RS232 to usb adapter and
rewrite the C code for the usb port. So how do I go about that? Is
usb serial port programming possible and documented anywhere?

Thanks!