Updating a driver quirk in kernel

venkat venkat.s at vortexindia.co.in
Wed Jan 29 02:19:39 EST 2014

Os : Debian 6 Kernel Version : 2.6.32

I have been recently working with Linux application and now we have some
little hard-disk issues where my motherboard doesn't support AHCI
through bios. On various Google searches i found that i can force Linux
kernel force load driver to AHCI mode.

i have just now started my kernel walk through and i am very new for
handling issues.

THS IS THE QUIRK WHICH I FOUND WILL WORK
:http://tartarus.org/~ds/quirk-ich-force-ahci.patch
<http://tartarus.org/%7Eds/quirk-ich-force-ahci.patch>

I download the kernel and its respective headers and did a complete
kernel build.since its Debian updated it in the client machine and found
it was working as expected

linux-image-2.6.32_2.6.32-2_i386.deb -- 26MB
linux-firmware-image_2.6.32-2_all.deb -- 5k
but now i need to apply the patch in all my client machines which i
located n remote locations where 26 mb in the network is very high

Is there a way where only this quirk can be updated in client in a
reduce size like some KO file update.

Is this the only way way to update the driver?? need some guidelines on
the same.

i also saw :http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/add-rem...ernel-modules/
<http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/add-remove-list-linux-kernel-modules/>

in my case can someone guide me with some pointers how this has to be done

Please guide

--
Regards
Venkat.S