make kernel driver closed

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Mon Jan 27 12:19:46 EST 2014

There are lots of companies with closed source Linux drivers. My former employer Brocade Communications Systems wrote, maintained and shipped their Fiberchannel stack Linux drivers consisting of tens of thousands of lines of closed source code for years and though I am no longer with that company to my knowledge they continue to do so today. That code is in every Brocade Fiberchannel switch out there unless you happen to have an old VxWorks based model that's well over 10 years old and no longer under service contract. And they aren't the only ones.

Granted all the reasons posted for open sourcing your kernel code are valid and it's the right thing to do for the community and all that, but let us not engage in this fantasy that it's impossible to write, maintain and ship closed source Linux drivers for years with no apparent legal repercussions.

Jeff Haran