tcp packet split

Augusto Mecking Caringi augustocaringi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 10:04:05 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 2:31 AM, <net.study.sea at gmail.com> wrote:

> How does the application level recognize each segment bridge in tcp stream
> ?
> i.e packe a 30bytes>> packet b 50bytes >>packet a 20bytes
> And why it is possible for one packet to contain uncontinuous part of
> different  user protocol packets?

It's not a kernel question in my opinion, but...

Take a look here:

"Segmentation is the process of carving up information into smaller pieces.
The documentation for Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) refrers to what
it calls 'data streams'. A data stream is really nothing more than a series
of zeroes and ones that represent information. TCP receives data from an
application and segments the data into pieces. This segmentation is
necessary so that the information can be placed inside the TCP data field."

"TCP reassembles segments into a data stream and feeds that data stream to
the application. The best known example of this activity is HTTP transfer
of a web page. The web server loads a web page from disk, encapsulates the
web page text in HTTP headers, the passes the HTTP encoded stream of text
to TCP. TCP segments the text stream for transport across the network. The
networking software (the stack) receives the TCP data segments and
reassembles the HTTP stream of text, which your web browser reads, and
renders as a web page."

http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/internet/tcp/segmentation.shtml

--
Augusto Mecking Caringi