issue with compiling kernel module

Arun M Kumar arunkr.linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 22:33:16 EST 2014

I am facing the following error message when i try to compile my kernel
module.
it is a simple hello world module

make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.6-2.10'

   ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.
          include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are
missing.
          Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.

make: *** No rule to make target `Device'.  Stop.
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.4.6-2.10'

I have tried the said option, of make oldconfig and prepare...

I even recompiled the source using defconfig and am using that kernel,
but still i get this error.
Please help.