how to build monolithic kernel

Alexandru Juncu alexj at rosedu.org
Fri Jan 3 04:10:44 EST 2014

On 3 January 2014 10:01, Laxmi Meena <laxmicair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anybody created rpm of monolithic kernel.

Linux can't really be anything but monolithic. Perhaps you are
referring to an image that has all modules built in? (Linux is still
'monolithic' even if it loads modules).

If that is the case, you should know that an image like that is very
specific. I don't think you would want ALL modules compiled into the
kernel because the image would be rather big. Images without modules
are usually made for small embedded devices where you know the exact
hardware and you are pretty sure that the configuration won't change.
If you want an image for a desktop or server, you usually want modules
because you want the flexibility.

So please give some more details on what you want/need and I'm sure
somebody will be able to help.