mmap giving Permission Denied error

Dongyan Yang yangdongyan at ict.ac.cn
Fri Feb 28 02:39:54 EST 2014

Ravi Teja <ravi2j <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Ravi Teja,
I've got the same problem as you. I've set mmap_min_addr as 0 and when I
intentionally use MAP_FIXED to mmap to 0x00000000. I've got error
"Permission Denied".

I want to ask you that which .config file have you modified and what
modification have you make.

I really hope you can help me.

Thank you.

Best Regards to you.
Yaner

> Hello all,
> I have successfully acessed(read and write) to 0x00000000(NULL) address. I
had to make certain changes in .config file and recompile it.

> Thank you all.
>
> Regards
> Ravi Teja
>

> On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM, anish singh <anish198519851985 <at>
gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2013 7:35 PM, "Ravi Teja" <ravi2j <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Ratheesh,
> >
> > I have intentionally used MAP_FIXED flag as I am interested in mapping
to 0x00000000.

> AFAICS in linux generally mapping to null address is not allowed as this
decision helps in debugging null dereference errors.

> > Even after setting the mmap_min_addr in /proc/sys/vm to 0 (which was
previously 4096), I am getting this error.