Kernel Development

freeman freeman.zhang1992 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 20:13:42 EST 2014

Hi,
 2014-02-24 01:24, subham soni :
> Hello,
>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop
> my own kernel from scratch. From where should I start from? I have a
> good experience of the commands in Linux
> (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware). I googled out and I came to know
> that I should start from Device Drivers. Now which device driver
> should I code? Or should I master Shell Scripting? For developing a
> kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life, since most
> laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00 hrs in
> Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?

I read some books about how to DIY an OS . Of course it's simple and
crude, but it's a good start, I think.

Hidemi Kawai, Homemade Operating System Within 30 Days
Yuan Yu, Operating System From Scratch (I don't know if there is an
English edition. The project from thisbook is on GitHub:
https://github.com/yyu/osfs00)

    "
    <http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Operating-System-Chinese-Edition/dp/7115287961>There
    are many ways to learn OS, but I believe the best way is to learn by
    practice. There are many open source OS code, but the code bases are
    huge. You will get lost in the source code labyrinth.

    There are good books, /Operating System: Design and
    Implementation/ by A.S. Tanenbaum and A.S. Woodhull for example, but
    they don't teach you where to begin either.

    That's why you should come here. If Tanenbaum's book is a reference,
    my project series is a tutorial. Prof. Tanenbaum tells you what.
    I'll tell you how."
    <http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Operating-System-Chinese-Edition/dp/7115287961>

Above are two funny books involving me into coding and learning about
OS. However, if you're serious, please just ignore :-P

All the best,
Freeman Zhang

<http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Operating-System-Chinese-Edition/dp/7115287961>