How to test my patches before submitting them to LKML?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Feb 7 14:05:52 EST 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 18:30:46 +0100, Matthias Beyer said:
>
> > So you would say, I should start patching non-hardware driver code,
> > FS for example, to get my feet wet with the kernel?
>
> You might want to take a step back, be a bit more meta, and ask
> yourself why, exactly, you want to do kernel hacking at all.  If
> there isn't an obvious part of the kernel that interests you, maybe
> kernel hacking isn't where you should be.

  i get asked the same thing on a regular basis, and i've learned to
respond, "have you already downloaded the source, pawed through it,
configured it, compiled it and rebooted it? if not, that's where you
start." no point talking about *hacking* the kernel until you've
worked through the basics of just building and booting one.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca